Do Some Homework
Before you start seriously looking for a property, we suggest you do some homework to maximise your chances of finding properties that meet your needs and budget. Start by selecting a geographical area you would like to live in that is within your budget range and also consider other requirements such as public transport, shopping centres, schools, parks and other facilities.
Tips and Strategies
Once you have an area in mind:
Inspect properties and attend auctions in your preferred area so you can get a better understanding of the market and a feel of the price ranges.
- Contact your bank or home loan specialist to discuss the range of loans on offer which best suit your needs and fit within your budget.
- Discuss your needs with a member of the McLaren Sales Team who specialises in your preferred area. Describe your property requirements and they will contact you when new properties are listed on the market before they are advertised.
- If you are interested in a property, contact your agent and ask them to send a copy of the sale contract to your solicitor or conveyancer.
- We recommend a building and pest inspection to make you aware of any major defects or pest concerns such as termites. Also check the contract to ensure all certificates are available on renovation works carried out.
- Whether the property is for sale or auction, discuss making an offer through the agent.
- Once negotiations have been finalised, you will be required to sign the sale contract and pay a 10% deposit.
- The vendor will sign their sale contract and the solicitor, conveyancer or agent will exchange the contracts.
In the week prior to settlement, arrange a pre-settlement inspection before handover. Ensure that the property is in the same condition as when you last inspected it, and that all the inclusions are as per the contract you signed. Once the settlement has been finalised, you will receive keys to your property.